The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre
Registered NDIS Provider
Blending respite, support, and community engagement, The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre is the perfect place for adults and children living with a disability to improve skills, build confidence and trial a more independent lifestyle.
Our aim is to empower clients to make choices, achieve their goals and lead a rewarding life.
The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre was opened in March 2016, offering a safe, homely and culturally sensitive environment to children and adults with disability. The state-of-the-art facility is the first project of six to be completed as part of Jewish Care’s visionary Capital Campaign, 'Growing. For our community' – a $200 million investment. Located in Caulfield and nestled in the heart of the Victorian Jewish community, the Centre is a beautiful space of warmth, care, and support. The innovative, purpose-built, and culturally-sensitive Centre uniquely represents our Jewish community, values, and traditions. Designed to be a Jewish home-away-from-home, traditional Jewish holidays are celebrated and the standards of Kashrut are observed.
The Centre caters for five children and five adults in separate and secure wings that are equipped with modern features and interactive equipment. This unique Centre is a combination of style, innovation and functionality and is based solely around individual’s goals and needs. It provides flexible and adaptable respite opportunities, direct support and various other community-based outreach services for children and adults, and carer support programs for their families and carers.
- regular short-term respite,
- irregular longer-term respite,
- emergency accommodation in times of crisis, and
- alternate accommodation for children and adults whilst more appropriate, longer-term accommodation is sourced.
- Respite bedrooms: Five adult and five children (separate wings)
- Accessible children’s bathrooms and adults’ ensuites
- Kosher kitchens with wheelchair accessible work benches
- Secure entry with Shabbat-friendly access
- Landscaped courtyards
- Sensory gardens
- Sensory rooms (child and adult)
- Purpose-built playgrounds and private outdoor spaces
- Succah (separate child and adult)
- Combined administration facilities
- Community hub providing carer support, training and outreach programs
The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre is open to anyone living with disability as defined by the Victorian Disability Act 2006.
Children's Respite House
Children aged 6-17 years enjoy a stimulating environment filled with engaging recreational activities, both onsite and in the community, and new opportunities to develop meaningful and long-lasting friendships in a safe and caring environment.
Our innovative Disability Respite Centre features a purpose-built Children's Respite House, playgrounds equipped with a Liberty swing and trampoline, and engaging gardens and sensory rooms.
Adult Respite House
Our Disability Respite Centre opens up new and exciting opportunities for adults living with a disability to:
- improve their independent living skills,
- trial out-of-home options as much as practicably possible,
- explore community resources,
- prepare for the transition to independent living, and
- reach their goals.
The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre features a modern, secure wing specifically catering to the care needs of adults aged 18-64 years and is equipped with personal ensuites, a sensory/music room, and playground with a Liberty swing and trampoline.
Holiday & Weekend Activities Programs
Our group programs are designed to assist people living with a disability to increase their independence, and provide opportunities to engage in social and recreational activities in a supportive and safe environment.
We run holiday and weekend programs at Jewish Care sites and community locations for both children and adults living with a disability. Some of the activities we offer include:
- sensory art, and
- accessing community recreational activities (e.g. visits to the zoo or bowling).
Group & Social Participation Programs
We offer a range of group programs to encourage and support adults living with a disability, including:
- fitness programs
- $1 Dinners- a communal meal preparation program focusing on nutritional and budgetary education
- volunteer packing bees & working bees
- Schmooze and Groove – Sunday walking group
- community access weekend outings (e.g. bowling, AFL games, museum visits)
- Pathways to Employment course through our Employment & Education Centre (EEC)
- spiritual and cultural events, and
- assistance with social interaction in a shared living arrangement.
The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre is open to anyone with a disability in Victoria as defined by the Victorian Disability Act 2006.
To find out more about respite at The Coppel & Piekarski Family Disability Respite Centre, download the brochure below and contact (03) 8532 9801 or submit an online enquiry below.