Holocaust Survivor Services

Holocaust Survivor Services



Guiding you through

Jewish Care is committed to supporting first generation Holocaust survivors living in Victoria. Melbourne has the largest number of survivors per capita outside of Israel, and consideration for their specific needs is embedded in all we do.

Holocaust Survivor Support Program

The Holocaust Survivor Support Program addresses the needs of Holocaust Survivors who need help with medical or other important supports. The program receives funding from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany ('Claims Conference'). The program also assists individuals to apply for compensation from the German Government or other authorities.

Claims Conference funding for Holocaust Survivors

The Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany ('Claims Conference') is a New York based organisation negotiating with European governments for the release of funds to support Holocaust survivors worldwide. After their negotiations, the Claims Conference provides money to organisations such as Jewish Care to assist eligible Holocaust survivors.

Jewish Care acknowledges receipt of the funds at the direction of the United States District Court supervising the lawsuit In Re: Holocaust Victim Asset Litigation (Swiss Banks).

For more information about the work and role of the Claims Conference, please visit their website: www.claimscon.org

Who is eligible

To see if you qualify for Claims Conference funded support, a Jewish Care staff member will need to ask questions about your background, Holocaust experience, income and assets, and level of need. We can then check these details against criteria set by Claims Conference.

We understand this might be difficult for you, but we are here to guide and support you through this process as much as possible. Let us help you.

  •  Home and personal care e.g. BlueStar and Kesher
  •  Therapies and medical program
  •  Emergency support
  •  Restitution Support
  •  Meals
  • Transport to attend medical appointments

I already receive a Holocaust-related pension – am I eligible?

Contact us with your pension details. We can then determine your eligibility for assistance.

I don't receive a Holocaust-related pension – why should I apply?

The Claims Conference stipulates that to get funded assistance you need to complete an application for Holocaust-related
compensation. If not, we are unable to offer you Claims Conference funded support through our programs. We understand this may be difficult both practically and emotionally. Let us help you.  

What paperwork is involved?

Paperwork includes, but is not limited to:

  • An application form to determine your eligibility
  • An application for compensation from the Claims Conference or German Government
  • An assessment of your need and functionality

I live in a residential aged care facility – can I get
Claims Conference funded support?

Unfortunately, this support is only available for eligible Holocaust survivors still living in the community.

I am not eligible for Claims Conference support – can I
still get Jewish Care services?

Yes. There may be other options such as government-subsidised and full fee services.

What if I need help with English?

Jewish Care employs staff who speak a variety of languages, including Russian and Hebrew.

  • Medical aids and equipment
  • Transport to essential medical appointments
  • Food vouchers
  • Dental and medical assistance
  • Other essential needs as they arise

(Note: Limits and special eligibility criteria apply)

Please note: Due to limited funds, we may not be able to meet all requests for assistance, or may only be able to make a contribution towards the total cost. Help will vary from situation to situation. There is no set amount for the assistance available – each request is considered on its own merits. Where possible, we may also try to assist you through other programs. Our Holocaust Survivor Support program is here to help you and your family navigate through the requirements and explore the supports available. Please contact us to enquire further.

How To Apply

Please contact Jewish Care on (03) 8517 5999 or . Our team will determine your eligibility for assistance and will provide guidance and support.

I live in a residential aged care facility – can I get funded support?

Unfortunately, we are only able to provide support to clients still living in the community.

I support a Holocaust survivor – how do I access assistance?

Please contact Jewish Care to make a referral for your client or family member.

What if I live outside of Victoria?

Funds awarded to Jewish Care mainly support Holocaust survivors living in Victoria, however, we may still be able to assist, so please contact us.

What if I need help with English?

Our staff members speak a variety of languages including Russian and Hebrew.

How do I get started?

Please contact Jewish Care on (03) 8517 5999 or

To enquire or apply for assistance

Please contact Jewish Care on (03) 8517 5999 or

  • About NDIS
  • Financial Counselling
  • saver plus
  • Claims Conference
  • Residential Respite Care
  • Job Club
  • Counselling